Let’s face it; the golden age of air travel is gone forever, but there are some bright points, and we here in the Charlotte area enjoy some advantages that others do not. Sure we complain that US Airways dominance of our airport contributes to high ticket costs. But in a world where getting from here to there is taking longer than ever before, we should count ourselves among the lucky few US cities with non-stop service to an ever increasing number of destinations. Part of US Airways’ restructuring plan when they emerged from bankruptcy was to become a dominant player in the Caribbean and Latin American markets. Today, we can say that they have made some great strides toward that end.
This is great news for the vacation traveler and non-stop flights mean you can spend more time vacationing and less time in a crowded and oftentimes uncomfortable airplane. In addition, purchasing your airline tickets as part of a vacation package can often save you up to several hundred dollars off the price of purchasing the ticket by itself.
Here is the current lineup of exciting warm-weather destinations that you can fly to non stop from Charlotte: Destination, Frequency and Flying Time
- Aruba 1 non-stop flight daily 5 Hours
- Belize City, Belize 1 non-stop flight Mon, Wed, Fri, Sat, Sun 4.5 Hours
- Cancun, Mexico 2 non-stop flights daily 3 Hours
- Cozumel, Mexico 1 non-stop flight Tue, Thu, Sat, Sun 3 Hours
- Freeport, Grand Bahama 1 non-stop flight daily except Saturday 2 Hours
- Grand Cayman 1 non-stop flight daily 4 Hours
- La Romana, Dominican Rep. 1 non-stop flight Saturdays only 4.25 Hours
- Montego Bay, Jamaica 2 non-stop flights daily 4 Hours
- Nassau, Bahamas 2 non-stop flights daily 2.25 Hours
- Providenciales, Turks & Caicos Islands 1 non-stop flight daily 2.75 Hours
- Punta Cana, Dominican Rep. 1 non-stop flight daily 4.25 Hours
- St. Croix, US Virgin Islands 1 non-stop flight Saturdays only 4.25 Hours
- St. Kitts & Nevis 1 non-stop flight Saturdays only 5 Hours
- St. Maarten 1 non-stop flight daily 5 Hours
- St. Thomas 1 non-stop flight daily 4.5 HoursSan Jose, Costa Rica 1 non-stop flight Saturdays only 5.25 Hours
- San Juan, Puerto Rico 2 non-stop flights daily – Weekdays (M-F) 4.5 Hours
3 non-stop flights daily – Weekends
If you’re thinking about using your accumulated Dividend Miles to fly free on any of these flights, plan on making your reservations at least six months in advance. If not, you’ll need to be very flexible with your dates as there are very few of these coveted seats to be had on each of these flights. A little advance planning on your part can save you a lot of aggravation down the road.